27 December, 2012

A 2013 To-Do List (Theme Thursday)

Really? New Years' Resolutions? I can understand the concept behind it ("It's a new year and a new me! For real, this time!"), but at the same time, I was never really one to make resolutions at the start of a new year, for I was either not looking for self-improvement at the time, or I was already elbow-deep in something I had been working on.

On the rare occasion I actually did make a New Years' Resolution, it was purely coincidental, as I had just gotten tired of where my life had led me up until then. After a bit of thinking, I took stock of my life and decided to do something about the situations I didn't care for, which, I know, makes it sound dreadully easy (which it wasn't), but there were also a lot of factors in play at that time, such as being without a job, or freshly out of a relationship, or some other such thing.

Now, I'm not trying to say that I am anti-New Years' Resolution; I am simply wondering why April 3rd or June 19th or September 30th are less valid days than January 1st. Why do people wait around for the beginning of a new year to make a new self? Is the dawning of a new year going to suddenly bring realizations of how to correct past failures?

Not in my experience! That's what LIFE is. Do you remember that day, a Monday, two Augusts ago? I believe the date was 22/8/2011. I do. That's the date I made the resolution to go back to school.

Or how about Sunday, 18 March, 2012? I resolved that I couldn't be in the unhealthy relationship I was in anymore, and from then on, I resolved to be a little choosier with whomever I gave my heart to.

Then there's Thursday, 15 November, 2012. I thought I had made a wise choice re: my heart, but I was wrong, and that was the date I realized I had fallen from the healthy wagon and realized that the relationship I was in was just a game. I resolved to, once again, be pickier with the recipient of my heart.

I put the same (-ish) resolution up twice to demonstrate the fact that it's okay to fail from time to time. Well, 'failing' is a gray area with me, but...that's another blog for another time. It's okay to fall off the wagon. Just pick yourself back up and get back on again.

(I think I've begun derailing myself. Better wrap this up with a point quickly, before it gets even further from me.)

The point to all this going-on is this: If you don't like something about your life, or if something just isn't going the way you want it to, then change it right then and there. Or, if that's not feasible, begin working to change it. Life is too goddamned short to wait for January 1st. Also, who knows how long you'll be miserable until then? Give some credence to the mid- or end-of-year resolutions.

Who knows? Maybe you'll wake up on some random day, 19 June, and realize that you're not living the life you want. In that case, 19 June sounds like a wonderful first day of the rest of your life to me.

Now, some things I've been wanting (and working toward) for the past several months:

-I want to be an actual, published author. I took the first couple of steps already, but the bulk of the work still needs to be completed. Time to roll up the sleeves and get to work.

-Mrs. Saturday. She's out there. I want to find her. I don't know who or where she is, but I'm not going to give up the hunt until I find her.

-I want both my blog and vlog to take off. I'll be combining them once I get into the swing of blogging every day. My goal is to blog Monday through Friday, put up a video on Saturday, and maybe do a guest blog on Sunday. HOWEVER, I'm NOT going to beat myself up if I miss a day.



8 comments:

  1. It's still nice sometimes to believe in new beginnings, even if it's lame. Good luck with the book and finding Mrs. Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do them, either. I hate New Year's Eve. I've only had one good one. ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never do resolutions I also think they're stupid. This year I do want to start making iced coffee in the mornings to save money and I just decided I would start with 2013 but that is only coincidental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make resolutions all year, but I like to have one for the new year. I'm on vacation every year at that time so it gives me extra time to reflect and reassess. Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOmetimes just setting out to change something you are unhappy with is a journey itself. I wish it was that simple. I want to change this-*BOOM*! Done. ;-)

    I didn't have resolution, I set goals but they're not ones that automatically begin on New Years Day. They are already in progress. Sort of. What were we talking about again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of having goals but making a goal just because its is Jan. 1st is crazy. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because it's over a week late, I want to apologize. Thank you to everyone with the positive words and the like. I am truly thankful for them all.

    ReplyDelete