09 December, 2012

(Kissing Mistletoe)

Oh, my poor neglected blog. Don't worry, Daddy's here. I haven't forgotten about you, it's just taking me longer to get back into the swing of things re: blogging. Not since my livejournal, back in the day, have I blogged.

Also, not having access to a computer when I feel like writing is sort of a hindrance, meaning a large portion of these blogs will be typed on my phone. Hooray.

Then there's the personal demons I have to deal with. The demons who smile sickly as they ponder over which weak spot they shall poke at first, then decide to jam their cold iron weapons into multiple holes in my natural defenses simultaneously, finding rather surprising methods of tying their attacks together to form an all-out assault the likes of which aren't enough to kill, but just enough to make one feel like crawling into the bottom of a bottle. However, being a mental-health patient for as long as I have been has taught me how to resist (if only barely), which is the main reason I only drink Red Bull at #wineparty.

Now that the excuses are out of the way, it's time for a story about adorable people doing adorable things, in which a "character" is introduced. Well, she is quite a character. No real names here, save mine-ish. Mine's the only one I can actually throw around helter-skelter, because then only I have to deal with those consequences, but I think by now you've realized that Saturday isn't actually my surname.

Anyway, I had an idea a few months back about something I wanted to try this December, so I bought a Santa hat, sewed some wires into the seam and angled it so the pom hangs in front, but above my face. When that was finished, I strung some mistletoe from the pom, allowing the wearer (me) to be continuously beneath it. I thought it was a cute idea, and if someone had been wanting to romantically approach me this semester, I was giving them the perfect opportunity.

I wore it to school last Tuesday, just to see what would happen. Now, I've never exactly considered myself to be incredibly attractive, despite having my days where I do, but I'm no piece of abstract art, either. That being said, I actually got laughed at several times, and I think that one girl I shared an elevator ride with assumed I was going to make her uncomfortable (to put it nicely) by the way she kept shifting her weight back and forth, giving off a nervous vibe.

I was starting to lose the confidence that I had kept all day, despite the laughter and the few times people made it a point to give me a wide berth. The only thing damaged wise my pride, but as I didn't want to make it any worse, I decided to put the hat in my car (and fix my hair, I hate the way hats make it look). It rode on my head for one last trip through the school, from the library, down the elevator, and as I passed through the lobby, I caught the eye of one of the girls in my American Sign Language class through the wide open doors to the café, and she gave me a playful kind of look and indicated that I should go sit with her and another female classmate at their table.

Upon joining them, I braced myself for more of the same, but it did not happen. Instead, I was asked how many kisses I had received (0) and if I had singled out anyone specifically with this admittedly attention-seeking ploy. I explained the 'perfect opportunity' bit to them and immediately received a kiss on the cheek from the one who invited me over.

"I didn't want it to go to waste," she said. Not too long later, a few minutes, I think, the three of us went to our ASL class. I didn't have a chance to put the hat in the car.

Afterward, I was walking down the hallway toward the main entrance when I felt an arm slide into mine, linking at the elbows. It was the girl who pecked me on the cheek before class. We walked in silence until we got halfway through the parking lot.

"Aww, is this you walking me to my car?" I asked.

"Yep!"

"How gentlemanly of you." When we got to my car, I unlocked it, opened the door and threw my bag in. I hadn't seen her walk off, so I assumed she wanted to talk about something, and (because, yes, I am this dense) I just assumed it was about class.

"So, what's up?" I asked after climbing back out of my SUV.

"Like I said before, it would be a shame for it to go to waste!" And she planted another kiss on me, square on the lips.

While I was still reeling in shock, she took out her pen and wrote her number on the palm of my hand. We spent four hours on the phone later that night. I was going to wait until the next day to call, but I wanted to know what that kiss was all about.

Apparently, she had been planning it for a while, but was going to wait for the voices-off ASL after-finals class party-thing to approach me. "You just looked too adorable in that hat. I couldn't resist." So we made plans to go out last night.

And because of the cuteness of the story, and the fact that it's what started us talking, her pseudonym will be Mistletoe. Look forward to hearing more as time goes on.

Also, the picture is because she spent so long (fifteen minutes-ish) trying to stack those utensils and finally got it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Why thank you, Miss Jenn! It's something both Mistletoe and I strive for. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi... New follower.

    Thank you for following my blog.

    I thought those types of stories happened in Xmas romance novels and made for TV films.

    A lovely post and I hope that everything goes well for you and Mistletoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, thank you, Theta Sigma! My life tends to be very similar to TV and movies. Or my dreams are, at least. In any event, it's great to have you along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete