10 January, 2013

Cats and Dogs (Theme Thursday)

Today, I'm putting my story on pause to participate in Theme Thursday. Get used to it. Even as I type this up, I'm slightly unsure what to say about cats and dogs. It's raining, so there's that, but I don't think that's enough, so we're taking the spaghetti method, in which we throw a bunch of ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

I suppose this could also be a "That Makes Me Think Of" post.

TMMTO 1-
The first thing cats v. dogs makes me think of are the stereotypical binary gender roles. "She's a sex-kitten," or "He's ain't nothing but a hound dog." I'm not entirely certain how this sort of thinking began, with women being compared to felines and men to canines, but come on! As if there isn't enough of a gulf between the sexes without adding to it by saying that we're completely different species.

Yeah, I know that popular thinking has us coming from different planets, but I never really understood that mode of thinking. Why do we feel a need to emphasise our differences instead of what draws us together?

Sorry for getting preachy, that's just the mindset I have about a lot of topics. Moving on....

TMMTO 2-
The weather. This is another one of those sayings that I have no idea what the genesis is. (Call it irresponsible journalism for not doing my research and I'll tell you I'm not a reporter, I'm trying to be entertaining.) Where do the cats and dogs in this saying coming from? Is Mittens finally coming back from kitty heaven? Hmm...

TMMTO 2a-
Zombie pets. Which would be easier to take on? I've seen cats get very ugly and vicious sometimes. Plus they're all stealthy and silent killer instincts, but having suffered from 36462657281058 dog bites in my life (okay, seven for real) it feels like I would either freeze up at the sight of a zombie dog, or all of my pent-up canine-induced rage would finally have a legitimate outlet.

TMMTO 3-
Yowza.

7 comments:

  1. You made me think of Janeane Garofalo and Uma Thurman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tits in a catsuit, seems legitimate! Carry on...
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS legitimate! That is the Black Cat, a Marvel comics character. I thought it was relevant to the cats v. dogs debate. I mean, have you ever heard of a dog-based superhero, or even a villain?

      Delete
  3. Zombie pets!? That would be a very scary apocalypse indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You forgot your Theme Thursday button, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. zombie pets would be way freaky. Cats are definitely associated more with feminine traits though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really understood that concept. Where do the binary gender roles fit in at all? How do women relate to felines and men with canines?

      Delete