05 April, 2013

Editing. (One of many things I should do, but don't)

Yeah, you read the title right. I don't edit what I write. When speaking, I do put the conversation on hold from time to time in order to find the proper word choice, but when writing, I typically just write and write and write as the words come to me. I am aware that it's not the most ideal writing process, but I also feel as though it's more true to the statement I'm trying to make.

A clarification, I will insta-edit typos and grammatical errors, but those are mostly formed when I type on my phone too quickly. When I type "gh" as quickly as I normally type, my phone just inserts the word "ghost," and it has yet to be relevant, yet it's one of my most frequently typed words, which made me realize just how often that two-letter combination is used.

Anyway, that last paragraph sounds rather conceited, as I find it implies that I think it's purely my phone's fault if I make a typo. This is not the case. It's just the most likely cause of a typo.

...

Back on point, I am not anti-editing, I just do not believe that my blog should be edited. I highly (had to delete ghost again) doubt I'll just be discovered for my sheer talent here, so I go out of my way to get my voice across to you, the reader, by writing close (enough) to how I talk.

For my novel, I do edit that. I'll write a few pages, a scene, or a chapter, whatever I'm motivated to put out at the time, then come back to it later on (a day or two, tops), and tighten or rework almost the whole thing. Nothing that exists for the novel is what was originally written, as it has either been reworded, cut out, rearranged, or went off on a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-esque tangent.

In case you couldn't infer, I am quite fond of the "stream of consciousness" style of blogging, as the twists and turns, the bends and detours and Wild Rides the brain takes in this style are wholly fascinating to me. Finding connections from one point to another or seeing if everything actually does tie together at the end is something I find incredibly intriguing.

That's that, I suppose. Tomorrow: uh...something...I think...?

6 comments:

  1. You're lucky you can do that. I am a perfectionist. A typo in my blog post makes me crazy. I'll delete a comment if I've made a typo. Then again, I am under more watchful eyes. But it would be nice not to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not responding sooner, my cellphone tends to hate commenting, so I'm grabbing computer time while I can. I feel your perfectionist woes, as I'll edit words as I go, but on the whole, my flow tends to be a bit messier than most others' as my whole style tends to be stream-of-consciousness due to my not going back and rewriting something.

      I'm not taking this approach to my novel, though, ha ha!

      Delete
  2. I arrived via #AtoZ and instantly knew we'd get along (I too like parenthetical asides (a lot)) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, new friend, it's a pleasure to have you along! Thank you for reading! :D

      Delete
  3. Stopping by from the #atozchallenge !
    @JLenniDorner

    I feel much the same. My blog is not an accurate reflection of the massive multitude of man-hours spent editing a novel or other print-published work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! This is actually the main reason as to why I do not edit here, because most of my free time is eaten up by the novel!

      Delete